Wednesday, July 7, 2021

ICME14 Day 0

What will be my sixth consecutive ICME conference, will start in a few days. ICMEs are the huge, crowded conferences in math education that are wonderful at giving an overview of math ed research - and at making you feel lost. I have many good memories from previous conferences, but had decided not to take part this time, as the train ride from Oslo to Shanghai and back was a bit too far. (I want to reduce my carbon footprint, thus flights were not tempting.) However, COVID-19 made it a hybrid conference, so I changed my mind.

The conference experience depends a lot on your choice of TSG. As my research interests have moved to history of math ed lately, I will abandon my normal favorite (history of math in ed) and join the TSG55 instead. As a supplement, I will take part in the group on statistics teaching, I think.


Strangely, the Chinese hosts have made the time table very Europe-friendly, so I won't have to changed my daily rythm, but still, attending ICME from the comfort of my office-at-home will feel weird. But in a good way, I hope.

 

I have attended a few conference during COVID (NORMA and ISCHE, to name two), but haven't blogged much. I hope to go back to blogging daily during ICME. See you on Monday!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment